he 1747-KE module is a communication interface module from Allen-Bradley, designed for use with their SLC 500 series of programmable logic controllers (PLCs). This module plays a specific role in industrial communication by providing an interface between the SLC 500 system and external devices or networks that use the RS-232 communication protocol. Here are some key aspects of the 1747-KE module:
- RS-232 Communication: The 1747-KE module facilitates RS-232 communication, which is a standard serial communication protocol widely used in industrial and computing applications.
- Interface Functionality: It serves as an interface between the SLC 500 PLC and external devices like computers, modems, or other equipment that require RS-232 connectivity.
- Data Highway (DH-485) Networking: In addition to RS-232, the module is often used to connect the SLC 500 system to a Data Highway 485 (DH-485) network, an Allen-Bradley proprietary network used for connecting various automation devices.
- PLC Programming and Monitoring: The 1747-KE module is used for programming, configuring, and monitoring the SLC 500 PLCs via a connection to a personal computer or programming terminal.
- Device Integration: It allows the integration of various RS-232 devices into the SLC 500 system for data exchange and control purposes.
- Network Communication: The module can be part of a setup that involves communication over a DH-485 network, facilitating data exchange among multiple PLCs and other devices on the network.
- Configuration and Setup: Proper configuration of the module is essential to ensure correct communication settings, such as baud rate, parity, and data bits.
- Compatibility: The module is specifically designed for the SLC 500 series, so compatibility with this PLC range is a key consideration.
- Legacy Status: As the SLC 500 series and associated modules like the 1747-KE are considered legacy products by Allen-Bradley, availability and support might be limited, with users often transitioning to newer systems.
- Environmental Conditions: Like most industrial equipment, the module is designed to withstand the environmental conditions typically found in industrial settings.
The 1747-KE module is an important component for enabling RS-232 communication in Allen-Bradley’s SLC 500 PLC systems, particularly in legacy industrial automation setups. Its role in facilitating data exchange and connectivity between the PLC and external devices is crucial for various automation and control applications. However, with the evolution of technology and the introduction of newer communication standards, the usage of such modules is becoming more limited to maintenance of existing systems or specific application requirements.